Section 4. Membership.
- Number and Appointment.--The Commission shall be composed of 6
members, as follows:
- The Director of the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian
- The Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space
- The president of the First Flight Centennial Foundation of North
Carolina, to represent the interests of the Foundation.
- The chairman of the 2003 Committee of Ohio, to represent the
interests of the 2003 Committee.
- As chosen by the Commission, the president or head of a United
States aeronautical society, foundation, or organization of national
stature or prominence who will be a person form a State other than Ohio
or North Carolina and shall represent the interests of such aeronautical
- The Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Alternates.--Each member described under subsection (a) may designate
an alternated who may act in lieu of the member to the extent authorized
by the member, including attending meetings and voting.
- Vacancies.--Any vacancy in the Commission shall be filled in the same
manner in which the original designation was made.
- Prohibition of pay.--Except as provided in paragraph (2), members of
the Commission shall serve without pay or compensation.
- Travel expenses.--The Commission may adopt a policy, only by
unanimous note, for members of the Commission and related advisory
panels to receive travel expenses, including per diem in lieu of
subsistence. The policy my not exceed the levels established under
sections 5702 and 5703 of title 5, United States Code. Members who are
Federal employees shall not receive travel expenses if otherwise
reimbursed by the Federal Government.
- Quorum--Three members of the Commission shall constitute a quorum.
- Chairperson.--The Commission shall select a Chairperson of the
Commission from the members designated under subsection (a) (1), (2), or
(5). The Chairperson may not vote on matters before the commission
except in the case of a tie vote. The Chairperson may be removed by a
vote of a majority of the Commission's members.