Sec. 7. STAFF AND SUPPORT SERVICES.
- Executive Director.--Subject to subsection (h), there shall be an
Executive Director appointed by the Commission and chosen from among
detailees from the agencies and organizations represented on the
Commission or represented on the Advisory Board under section 12(b)(1)
(A) through (E). The Executive Director may be paid at a rate not to
exceed the maximum rate of basic pay payable for the Senior Executive
- Staff.--Subject to subsection (h), the Commission may appoint and fix
the pay of any additional personnel that it considers appropriate,
except that an individual appointed under this subsection may not
receive pay in excess of the maximum rate of basic pay payable for GS-14
of the General Schedule.
- Inapplicability of Certain Civil Service Laws.--The Executive
Director and staff of the Commission may be appointed without regard to
the provisions of title 5, United States Code, governing appointments in
the competitive service, and may be paid without regard to the
provisions of chapter 51 and subchapter III of chapter 53 of such title,
relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates, except as
provided under subsections (a) and (b) of this section.
- Merit System Principles.--The appointment of the Executive Director
or any personnel of the Commission under subsection (a) or (b) shall be
made consistent with the merit system principles under section 2301 of
title 5, United States Code.
- Staff of Federal Agencies.--Upon request by the Chairperson of the
Commission, the head of any Federal department or agency may detail, on
either a nonreimbursable or reimbursable basis, any of the personnel of
the department or agency to the Commission to assist the Commission to
carry out its duties under this Act.
- Administrative Support Services.--
- Reimbursable services.--The Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution
may provide to the Commission on a reimbursable basis any administrative
support services that are necessary to enable the Commission to carry
out this Act.
- Nonreimbursable services.--The Secretary may provide administrative
support services to the Commission on a nonreimbursable basis when, in
the opinion of the Secretary, the value of such services is
insignificant or not practical to determine.
- Program Support.--The Commission may receive program support from the
- Limitation.--Each member of the Commission described under section
4(a) (3), (4), and (5) may not make personnel decisions, including
hiring, termination, and setting terms and conditions of employment.